The Benefits of Having a Pet
Pets are good for your health!
Here are the health reasons to have a pet as reported by Delta Society that performs research into the importance of animals to the lives and wellbeing of humans.
- Pets are good for your health.
- Humans who own dogs go to the doctor less than those who do not.
- Pet owners have lower blood pressure.
- Pet owners have lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels than non-owners.
- Companionship of pets (particularly dogs) helps children in families adjust better to serious illness or death of a loved one.
- Pet owners feel less afraid of being a victim of crime when walking with a dog or sharing a residence with a dog.
- Pet owners have fewer minor health problems.
- Pet owners have better psychological well-being.
- Contact with pets develops nurturing behaviour in children who may grow to be more nurturing adults.
- Pet owners have better physical health due to exercise with their pets.
- Having a pet may decrease heart attack mortality by 3%.
- Dogs are preventative and therapeutic measures against everyday stress.
- Pets decrease the feeling of loneliness and isolation.
- Children exposed to animal/pet education programmes display enhanced empathy for humans compared with children not exposed to such programmes.
- Positive self-esteem of children is enhanced by owning a pet.
- Children’s cognitive development can be enhanced by owning a pet.